Travelling with Pets

There are harmonized regulations regarding transport of pets (dog, cat or ferret) within the European Union. The standard EU rules apply for travelling to Slovakia with your pets, whether you are travelling from another EU country or outside of Europe. When traveling to Slovakia with your pets, you will need to meet several conditions prior to the trip. These requirements are:

  • Pet microchip
    The first step to prepare your pet to enter Slovakia is to have your dog, cat or ferret microchipped with ISO compatible chip. The pet must have a microchip which is implanted on the same day or before the first rabies vaccination has taken place. A tattoo is an acceptable form of identification as long as it was given prior to 3 July 2021 and is clearly visible. 
  • Rabies vaccination
    Before traveling to Slovakia, your pet must be vaccinated against rabies and must be at least 12 weeks old at the date of vaccination. The primary rabies vaccination must be administrated no sooner than 21 days before entering Slovakia.
  • The rabies antibody titration test
    If your pet is entering Slovakia from a high-rabies country the rabies antibody titration test must be carried out. An authorized veterinarian must carry out the test at least 30 days after the primary or booster vaccination against rabies. If the results are good, the pet will have to wait another 90 days before it can enter Slovakia. This period is for the possible presence of rabies despite the vaccination and positive blood test.
  • European pet passportPhoto: ec.europa.euPhoto:
    Any licensed veterinarian can issue this document following the successful outcome of the identity, documentary and physical checks performed on the pet. A pet passport is valid for life as long as your pets have rabies vaccination in date.
  • Health Certificate
    Health certificate makes your pet medically eligible for the trip and contains specific information about your pet (identity, health, rabies vaccinations). If you are travelling from a non-EU country or territory, your pet must have an EU animal health certificate issued by an official State vet in the country of departure not more than 10 days before your pet arrives in the EU. The certificate is valid for travel between EU countries for 4 months from this date or until the anti-rabies vaccination expires, whichever lapses first.
  • Written Declaration
    Pets must travel with their owners, however, you may give permission to another person to accompany your pet four you. In this case, a written permission completed by the owner is required and the non-commercial reasons of the trip should be declared. In this case, your pet must be reunited with you within 5 days of your relocation.

Listing of territories and third countries 

Traveling with other pets

European pet passports are issued for dogs and ferrets only. If you are traveling to Slovakia with any other pets, such as birds, invertebrates, tropical fish, reptiles, amphibia, mammals such as rodents and rabbits, they may have to meet other requirements and should have a health certificate. We strongly recommend to seek further information from the relevant authority of departure and/or the country of destination.

Note that the maximum number of pets you can bring with you in Europe in a non-commercial trip is five.

More information: