Staying in Slovakia for more than 3 months

If you are an EU/EEA/Swiss national that intends to stay in Slovakia for longer than 3 months, you need to to submit the notice of stay to the foreign police office within 10 working days after your arrival to Slovakia. This is usually done by the accommodation provider if you are accommodated in a hotel, hostel or dormitory. After that, you can stay in Slovakia without any further obligations for up to three months from the entry into the Slovak Republic. Once this period of three months is over, you need to apply for the registration of residence in Slovakia within next 30 days


What do you need for the report the beginning of your stay? 

If you are accommodated in private accommodation (e.g. in a private rented apartment or at a friends' place), you need to  submit the Notice of  the stay at the competent foreign police office (either in person or via a registered postal service). The form is available in 6 languages; however, must be completed in the Slovak language. The form can be also submitted/sent via a regular mail. 


Find the competent foreign police office



To register their residence, EU/EEA/Swiss nationals must personally visit the Foreign Police Department (FPD) competent for their place of residence in Slovakia. Registration cannot be applied for electronically, by email or a proxy. However, booking an appointment at the respective FPD must be done via the online Booking system. For more details see the website of the Ministry of Interior of SR.

For registration you will need to present the following documents:

  • valid ID/passport,
  • a document proving the purpose of your stay in Slovakia and/or sufficient financial resources:
    • in the case of employment in the territory of the Slovak Republic – an employment confirmation or a written promise of employment from the employer,
    • a proof of sufficient financial means for you and your family members not to become a burden on the social assistance system of the Slovak Republic and a proof of health insurance in Slovakia or a certificate of insurance reimbursement for medical expenses in the territory of the Slovak Republic,
    • in the case of study in Slovakia – a confirmation of study or an admission letter to a school in Slovakia and a statutory declaration of sufficient financial resources,
    • in case you assume to be employed in Slovakia – a statutory declaration on a continuing search for a job in Slovakia and a proof of medical insurance,
    • in case you are a family member of an EU citizen, you will accompany or join - a certificate of registration of the EU citizen, and a birth or marriage certificate, or a proof of your permanent relationship.

On the day of submission the complete application, the Foreign Police Department shall issue a Registration Certificate, i.e. confirmation on registration a residence of a EU/EEA/Swiss national, indicating his/her name, surname, address of the registered person and the date of registration.

As an EU/EEA/Swiss national you may be interested in obtaining a Residence card of an EU citizen valid up to 5 years. To apply for a Residence card, you need to visit the Foreign police Department competent for their place of residence in Slovakia in person. You will need to submit the following:

  • two recent photographs (3 x 3,5 cm),
  • document in Slovak proving provision of accommodation (e.g a confirmation from your accommodation provider or a rental agreement with officially notarized signatures).


Signatures on the affidavits and tenancy agreements must be notarized. The residence card is issued within 30 days of application. 

Fee: 4.50 EUR for the issue of an EU national residence card.

        24,50 EUR for expedited issuance of the residence card within 2 working days.

        3,00 EUR (aditional) for sending the residence card to the address in Slovakia.