Mobility of researchers’ family members

Family members of researchers who are holders of a residence permit from the purpose of family reunification in one of the member (states exept for the United Kingdom, Ireland and Denmark) are allowed to accompany the researcher during his/her stay in Slovakia WITHOUT the need to apply for a temporary residence in Slovakia, if:


  • researcher’s host research organisation in Slovakia notifies the Ministry of Interior of the intention of a family member to carry out a mobility which is carried out during the period of valid residence permit in another EU Member State and submits:
      • document proving a family relationship with the researcher,
      • copy of a residence card of a family member issued by a member state (a uniform format for all EU Member States, the purpose of residence is stated in the „Note“ of the residence card),
      • copy of a passport,
      • information about the start and finish dates of mobility, and
      • proof of financial coverage of stay in the amount of subsistence minimum for every month of stay or a confirmation of the research organisation stating that the family member will be provided with sufficient resources to cover the costs of living and travel costs for the return to the member state.



The research organisation is obliged to report the Foreign Police in writing any change influencing the mobility in Slovakia, within three working days of learning about them.