Temporary residence for the purpose of research and development (for researchers with a Hosting Agreement)

Researchers who signed a Hosting Agreement with a research institution or a university can apply for a temporary residence for the purpose of research and development. We recommend to researchers and receiving organisations to give priority to this type of temporary residence mailny due to:

  • fewer administrative duties (e. g. in case of highly mobile researchers a proof of clear criminal record only from one country is required)
  • immediate employment regardless of the labour market situation and without a need to obtain a work permit
  • possibility to carry out the activity upon an employment contract, an agreement on work performed outside the employment (e. g. work performance agreement) or based on a granted scholarship
  • possibility to teach a specified number of hours
  • simplified mobility within EU
  • possibility to renew a residence permit for 9 months for the purpose of job seeking or starting a business
  • immediate access of spouses to the labour market
  • simplified mobility of researcher´s family members within EU



  • completed official electronic application form accessed  and generated by the online Booking system of the Ministry of Interior of SR,

  • 2 recent full‑face photographs 3 × 3.5 cm,

  • valid passport,

  • Hosting Agreement (in Slovak) - as a proof of the purpose of your stay,

  • document proving sufficient financial resources for your stay – Hosting Agreement, your bank account balance statement or a confirmation of financial coverage,
  • criminal record extract (apostilled or superlegalised) from the country, where you resided longest during the last ten years.

Foreigners applying for the temporary residence for the purpose of research and development do NOT have to enclose a confirmation of accommodation in Slovakia.


Each document issued in a language other than Slovak (except for documents issued in Czech) has to be translated to Slovak by an official translator. The list of official translators can be found HERE. In case the translation is done abroad, the competence of the translator must be attested by the Slovak embassy/consulate.

None of the documents proving the purpose of your stay, financial resources or no criminal record can be older than 90 days on the day of submitting the application for a temporary residence.








You have to apply in person at the Slovak embassy/consulate competent for your country or at a Foreign Police office in Slovakia. Your application will be accepted at the Foreign Police office in Slovakia only if you are staying in Slovakia legally. You have to submit a complete application; otherwise, it will not be accepted. If the embassy or the police department does not accept the application, they will notify you in writing of the documents you need to enclose so that it can be accepted.  

Slovak embassy/consulate that receives your application will interview you for the temporary residence for the purpose of a preliminary assessment of your application. The interview will be conducted in Slovak or another language understandable to both parties. The embassy will prepare a written record of the interview and attach it to the application for the temporary residence. The record shall be made in the language in which the interview was held, and you will be asked to sign it. (If you do not speak Slovak and no other language understandable to both parties has been agreed, you may turn to an interpreter at your own expenses and he/she must then sign the record.) The embassy will send its position on the granting of a temporary residence to the Foreign Police department along with the record and its translation (in case the interview was held in another language than Slovak).

If applying for a temporary resedence at a competent foreign police in Slovakia the police officer in charge will confirm a receipt of your application (the last page of the applivcation form). Within 30 days from the date of submitting a complete application, the Foreign Police shall either issue a negative decision or a notification of granting the temporary residence. The officers will ask you to provide a mobile phone number (you can write the number on your application form). You will be notified by a text message in Slovak when your residence card is ready. You have to collect the residence card at the Foreign Police office in person or you can appoint somebody else with a power of attorney to do it for you. When applying for a temporary residence from abroad via a representative body, it is advised to consult with them the way of notification on granting the residence.

If you apply for a temporary residence longer in advance and the Foreign Police office makes a decision on your application earlier than 30 days prior to starting your planned activity (the purpose of stay), the Foreign Police office sets the starting date of the temporary residence exactly 30 days before the starting date of your planned activity (the purpose of stay). If the time between the decision of the Foreign Police office on granting the temporary residence and the commencement of your planned activity (the purpose of stay) is shorter than 30 days, the date of the decision of the foreign police office will be the same as the date of commencement of the granted temporary residence.

Once you are granted a temporary residence, you are obliged to submit a document proving your health insurance within 30 days from the collection of your residence card. The health insurance confirmations in another language than Slovak (except for Czech) must be translated to Slovak by a sworn translator. In case you do not have a health insurance covering your stay in Slovakia, you have to obtain it within 3 working days after you collect your residence card.

The police department shall grant a temporary residence for the purpose of research and development for the time necessary to achieve its purpose, but for a maximum of two years





       4.50 EUR for the issue of an EU national residence card (within 30 days).

        24,50 EUR for expedited issuance of the residence card within 2 working days.

        3,00 EUR (aditional) for sending the residence card to the address in Slovakia.



You have to submit a medical certificate confirming that you do not suffer from any disease threatening public health within 30 days from the collection of your residence card. The certificate CANNOT be older than 30 days. It can be obtained in specific medical centres only and a fee will be charged.


In the case of applying for a renewal of the temporary residence, it is not necessary to submit a document proving no criminal record. It is, however, necessary to file a proof of health insurance on the territory of the Slovak Republic.

Researchers who carried out their research in Slovakia can apply for the renewal of their temporary residence after the completion of their activity, for the purpose of job seeking or starting a business. In this case, it will be prolonged for nine months.

A researcher has to submit:

  • Confirmation on completion of their research activity
  • document proving financial coverage (at least in the amount of subsistence minimum for every month of stay; until 30.6.2020 the subsistence minimum is 210,20 EUR/month)
  • document proving health insurance coverage